Valentines Day moist chocolate cake
It's Valentines Day so it is only fitting that I share a recipe with one of the most iconic Valentines day gifts - chocolate.
My husband is my Valentine and I have to say the way to his heart was through his stomach. He always looks at me with that twinkle in his eye when I bake a chocolate cake and give him the bowl to 'clean'.
This moist chocolate cake is the perfect Valentines Day cake and if paired with a glass of red wine, will be a perfect end to a romantic day.
- 200g butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ¼ cup yoghurt
- 1 ½ cups self raising flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups hot water
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- 10g butter
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add vanilla essence and eggs and mix until well combined
- Mix in yoghurt
- Sift in self raising flour and cocoa powder and mix until just combined
- Add the hot water and stir – the mixture will be runny
- Line a springform pan (approximately 20cm) and pour in the batter
- Cook for approximately 50 – 55 minutes or until cooked through
- Let the cake cool in the pan
- To make the icing mix the icing sugar, milk, cocoa and butter together until well combined
- Once the cake is cool, top with icing and serve
Any leftovers (if there is by some miracle), warm it in the microwave and serve with ice-cream or cream. Delicious!
The water in this cake may seem strange however it is what keeps it moist. So don't worry when the mixture is really thin. It will come out perfect.
Happy Valentines Day everyone - I hope you too get to share it with someone special.
Post a Comment