Brown rice and quinoa salad
After a few work lunches at Jack Greens I fell in love with brown rice in salad. The nuttiness and slightly chewy texture, makes brown rice a perfect addition to any salad.
So when my health-conscious cousin came over for dinner one night, I decided to give it a go. The rice and quinoa combined with hearty vegetables, adds great depth to the dish and makes it a complete meal. The yoghurt dressing cuts through the richness and natural sweetness of the corn and pumpkin, adding some needed tang.
- 1 cup quinoa and brown rice cooked
- 1 zucchini
- ½ jap pumpkin
- Olive oil
- 100g baby spinach
- 1 tomato
- 1 corn on cob
- 4 tablespoons yoghurt
- ½ lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 small red chili without seeds
- ½ garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 220 fan forced
- Cut up pumpkin into 1.5cm pieces and mix with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Cook pumpkin until cooked through, approximately 30 minutes
- Grate zucchini into ribbons and cook until it starts to brown and softens
- Boil corn until soft, cut corn off the cob and put to the side
- Mix the yoghurt, lime juice, coriander, parsley, chili, garlic and honey until combined
- Put the salad together – quinoa and brown rice first, baby spinach, tomato, corn, pumpkin and zucchini
- Dress salad with yoghurt dressing.
Serve it as a side dish or add some chicken or steak to make a light, simple weekday meal.
Fun farewell yoghurt fact: Singer Carley Rae Jepsen eats vanilla yogurt with granola and fruit for breakfast every day.