Pumpkin yoghurt pasta salad
I’m always looking for some filling, fresh and yummy accompaniments to a meaty summer BBQ. A side that can stand alone and isn’t just the obligatory greenery on the plate that justifies the three sausages next to it.
Pumpkin is my new favourite vegetable – so versatile, colourful and flavoursome. So I wanted to come up with a BBQ side that would utilise pumpkin in all its glory. A pasta salad was an obvious choice!
This light and summary pasta salad is the perfect addition to a summer BBQ.
- 500g pasta
- 1/2 pumpkin – half diced and half boiled
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoon yoghurt
- 1 zucchini
- 6 mushrooms diced
- 4 rashes of bacon
- Punnet of cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup parsley
- ¼ cup basil
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 100g ricotta
- Tablespoon of lemon juice
- Put half the pumpkin in the oven at 250 degrees and roast for 30minutes or until cooked
- Boil half the pumpkin and once soft, mash until smooth
- Cook garlic until it softens
- Add the pumpkin puree (you should have approximately 1 cup), vegetable stock, oregano and salt and pepper and cook on low for 15minutes or until it thickens
- Cook the pasta
- In the meantime, thinly slice the zucchini and cook with olive oil, salt and pepper until soft
- Dice the mushrooms and cook until they darken
- Cook the bacon until crispy and cut into 1cm pieces
- Once the pumpkin sauce thickens, remove from heat and quickly mix in the yoghurt
- Once pasta is cooked, drain and add the pumpkin sauce, roasted pumpkin, zucchini, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and olive oil (I used herb infused), parsley, basil and bacon.
- Mix the ricotta and lemon juice together and add to pasta salad
Fun farewell yoghurt fact:
“Yoghurt bacteria can relieve the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.”