Chicken yoghurt schnitzels
When I think of schnitzels, I think of Verandah Bar on Martin Place, and its $10 schnitzels on Tuesday nights back when I lived in Sydney in 2009. I always looked forward to those schnitzels but now I try and find a healthier alternative to fulfill my craving.
- ½ cup yoghurt
- 2 chicken breast
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- Dried oregano
- Lemon to serve
- Cut chicken thinly and use a mallet to ensure they are even pieces so it cooks through evenly
- Put flour in one bowl with salt and pepper
- Put yoghurt in a second bowl
- Put breadcrumbs with dried oregano in a third bowl
- Put one piece of chicken in the flour, shake to remove excess flour, place in the yoghurt, hold up to drain excess yoghurt and place in breadcrumbs until well covered.
- Repeat with all pieces of chicken
- Heat frying pan and fill with oil around 0.5cm high
- Once oil is hot cook the chicken until brown and crispy
- Put on paper towel to drain excess oil
- Serve with lemon and vegetables or salad. I served it with chickpeas in tomato sauce.
The yoghurt gives a tangier flavour, perfect to cut through any excess oil left in the schnitzel.
Fun farewell yoghurt fact – “(yoghurt) contains high levels of lactic acid that promote healthy skin.”