Yoghurt banana muffins
Banana bread and cake is a favourite of mine. Not too sweet, moist and can be considered part of the fruit food group (kind of).
This yoghurt banana muffin recipe was inspired by a banana cake recipe on weightloss.com.au but it’s a little naughtier. I increased the sugar slightly, added honey, used butter instead of margarine, replaced some of the milk with yoghurt and decreased the number of bananas. Then I turned them into muffins, instead of a cake. Ok so I made a few amendments, but I wanted to give credit where credit is due.
This is a quick and easy muffin recipe perfect for morning or afternoon tea with a coffee or cup of tea. Or if you are Mr Bball, a homebrewed beer.
Yoghurt banana muffins:
- 150g butter
- 150g white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 ripe bananas mashed (or one large one)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ cup of milk
- 3 tablespoon of yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 heaped teaspoon of baking powder
- Pre-heat oven to 180c fan-forced
- Grease a 12-hold muffin tin
- Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy
- Mix in vanilla essence
- Mix in one egg at a time until well combined
- Mush the bananas and add them to the mixture
- Heat the milk in the microwave for 30 seconds or until warm and add the baking soda. It should foam slightly.
- Add the foamy milk to the banana mixture
- Mix the flour and baking powder
- Sift the flour and baking powder and mix into the banana mixture
- Spoon two tablespoons of mixture into each muffin tin. You may end up with enough for 14.
- Cook for 20 – 25minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- Dust with icing sugar and/or cream to serve.
- You can serve this warm or cold.
My farewell fun yoghurt fact: Persian traditions hold that "Abraham owed his fecundity and longevity to the regular ingestion of yogurt".*
Source:Batmanglij, Najmieh (2007). A Taste of Persia: An Introduction to Persian Cooking. I.B.Tauris. p. 170.